Obesity has been present amidst us since the beginning of life, but the recent trends of stagnant and inactive lifestyle have made obesity a widespread epidemic. With over 60% of the population of the USA being obese, we all lie at a huge risk of chronic and fatal ailments. While there is no permanent and instant cure for obesity, we can surely go a long way by making some changes in our diets and lifestyles.
Apart from regular physical exercise, diet plays a major role in cutting down the unhealthy fat and providing our body with the necessary nutrients. Although every person has a totally different rate of metabolism and hence requires a different diet plan, there are some basic requirements that must be fulfilled, like- stress-free lifestyle, regular sleep cycle, clean surroundings, sound mental health and a balanced diet.
Here, we have curated a list of food items that will help you fight against the age-old problem of obesity.
- Citrus food items with high fiber content– Including fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C to your diet, is a great way to cut down your body fat. Most citrus food items, like grapefruits, oranges, lemons and cherries are rich in fiber and hence, provide us with the necessary aid in weight loss. Apart from these, fruits that are rich in water content are also necessary for weight loss. Watermelon, apples, berries, etc. should be included in proper proportions in our daily diets.
- Legume seeds like chickpeas– With an exceptionally high amount of vegetarian protein, legume seeds like peanuts, chickpeas and lentils go a long way in helping us fight obesity. Their rich nutrients not only nourishes our mind and body but also provides us with a feeling of fullness, which further leads to less of munching on unhealthy snacks.
- Nuts like almonds and walnuts– Consumption of 4-5 soaked almonds on a daily basis, increase the intake of protein and fiber apart from increasing the immunity of our bodies. Almonds are a great source of fiber and can be easily included in our diets in form of granola bars or roasted snacks. Walnuts on the other hand specialize in reducing your belly fat. Their high content of omega-3 helps you in getting a slimmer waistline and a glowing skin. You can make it a schedule to soak 5 almonds and 2 walnuts every night, and consume them by next morning for optimal results.
- Healthy protein from avocados, black beans and eggs– Apart from adding a rich creamy texture to your dishes, avocados contain a healthy dose of oleic acid, which helps in losing weight by giving a feeling of fullness. Similarly, the versatility and high fiber content of black beans makes it a miracle food for dieters. It can be included in our diets as a sandwich spread, in forms of salad or as a vegetable preparation. Eggs also form a major part of our meals, especially as the healthiest breakfast option. Scramble the egg whites in little bit of olive oil for your breakfast and you are good to go for the rest of the day!
- Healthy fats and oils– The various nutrients present in oils and butters (namely fish oil, coconut oil, peanut butter and olive oil) play an important role in fighting off the problem of obesity. The fat contents and calorie intake of these products might scare you off, but these oils and butters are excellent sources of minerals that indirectly pace up the weight loss process. Make sure to include some dose of these healthy fats in your diet!
- Healthy carbs– While trying to undergo a strict diet, many dieters are unable to find healthy and easy recipes for their breakfast. This is when you need to rely on some healthy grain options like oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa. These three grains can provide you with a lot of energy and hence, are great for breakfast. These items are also easily available in restaurants these days, making it a total win-win situation.
- Spices– While most of us consider spices as just the flavor enhancer in our food, some of the spices also help in increasing the metabolism of our bodies and in turn helping us in shedding a few kilos. Paprika, cinnamon, chipotle peppers and cumin are the best known spices that should be included in our meals on a regular basis.
- Aromatics like Garlic, ginger– There is no denying the fact that the aromatics like garlic and ginger add a lot of flavor to our dishes. Well, what if we can also slim down our waistline with these delicious ingredients that are present in our everyday meal! Garlic can work wonders with high sugar levels and works miraculously to control the insulin in our bodies. On the other hand, ginger works its wonder by reducing your appetite, so that less food is consumed.
- Dark chocolate– This eatable is sure to have a plethora of fans out here. Dark chocolate has been found, under various research studies, to contribute in the weight loss process by being the healthiest way to curb our sugar cravings. A piece of dark chocolate with a glass of red wine every day is enough he keep your heart diseases at bay as well. The other varieties of chocolates have alarmingly high levels of sugar, thus making them totally unfit for consumption.
- Seeds– Although seeds might appear to be very fine and minute part of our meal, they go a long way in providing us with the necessary nutrients. Whether roasted or crushed, sprinkled over a glass of milk or a bowl of salad; these seeds are a really healthy option to add some crunch and saltiness to our food. The best varieties among these for weight loss are flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds. The nutrients in these seeds also help in fighting against chronic ailments like diabetes, heart diseases and kidney damage.
Including not all, but some of these items in your diet can surely make a lot of difference. These healthy food items not only provide you with the nutrients and roughage but also make you feel active throughout the day. Plan a customized diet plan and try to pair these eatables with regular workout or jogging with a proper sleep cycle and a stress-free lifestyle for optimum results.
About the Author:
Jessica, a registered dietitian,a wellness guru that loves to read, research and write. A fitness freak who believes in healthy living and doesn’t like to miss her yoga. When not reading she can be found relishing her favourite foods.